If you were getting comfortable with your law firm’s SEO strategy, 2017 is going to throw you a few curve balls. While search is an ever-changing phenomenon, there will be some big changes coming throughout the next year. To stay ahead of competitors, law firms need to quickly adapt and implement new strategies to work with search engines and not against them.
Here are five ways search is changing in 2017:
- People are asking questions via voice search. Well this one isn’t really new, but it will have a more profound impact in the coming year. While iPhone users have been asking Siri questions for years, with the popularity of devices like Amazon’s Alexa, more people than ever before are asking questions via voice instead of by typing - and they only receive one answer. Normally, when a person searches a question in Google or other search engines, they receive thousands or millions of results. However, by using voice search with devices like Siri and Alexa, users only get one. This makes being the first spot on search engine results more important than ever.
- Time to consider Bing. While many marketers focus their efforts solely on the Google search engine, it turns out Bing search engine is actually making a comeback because of voice search. Bing provides the answers for Siri and Alexa voice search, which means ranking on Bing is becoming more important.
- Mobile is King. Most people use smartphones to search the Internet these days, and Google has taken notice. It is not enough to have a mobile version of your website, you need Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP). Google prefers to show websites and pages with AMP in mobile search results over websites without those features.
- Site speed is important. People want answers provided to them quickly. If Google notices your site is slow to load, don’t expect the search engine to list you in search results as often. Google is beginning to show a higher preference for fast loading websites, so don’t get left behind.
- Don’t get comfortable. Google is overdue for a major algorithm update, and it is likely we will see one in the new year. Google has been working diligently with machine learning to improve its search results, so the next update could be aimed at better understanding human behavior.
How To Stay Up To Date With Search
A good SEO strategy is one that is always changing. For law firms to stay up to date with the best SEO practices, they need to frequently analyze website performance and rank to understand what is helping and hurting. Law firms will also have to get more comfortable with technology to continue to succeed in organic rankings. Things like machine learning, voice search, and mobile functionality will continue to intertwine with search engines in an effort to improve search results for all users.
If you’re worried you can’t keep up with SEO trends, or if you aren’t currently implementing an SEO strategy, the marketing experts at Stacey E. Burke, P.C. can help.