Helping others is an important part of every law firm’s mission. Being involved in your community is a way to further that mission. Whether your law firm donates to a health and human services group, organizes a bike drive, or volunteers at a local school, your law firm should participate in at least one charitable or community event each year.
Charitable giving humanizes your brand while immersing your firm in its surrounding community. While it is important to focus on helping others, be sure keep one eye toward the public perception of your business when selecting a community opportunity.
Positive benefits for law firms that give back:
- Your persona matters to clients. Large brands are strategic with their charitable alignments, choosing to announce their endeavors at times and places where they might leverage greater response; and, they choose charities and events that reflect their brand’s image and message. Law firms can highlight community involvement and charitable giving and differentiate themselves when it comes to potential clients. Charitable work not only promotes a positive image of the legal profession, but it specifically shows that your law firm cares about more than just making money.
- The firm that volunteers together stays together. Volunteering strengthens the relationships between your lawyers, your staff, and even your families. Your employees will feel good not only about giving back, but also about your law firm. Law firm management should always reevaluate team morale, and continue to build a better workplace.
- Increase your reach within your community. Working with committed staff from a charity is inspiring and exposes you to a new network of contacts. Community leaders must remain connected for their groups to thrive and survive, and that connectedness can yield quality potential referral sources. With regard to client development, if a decision maker for a potential client is involved with a certain charity, and sees that you are too, your firm has a better chance of earning their business.
- Market your law firm in new and additional ways. Charitable giving can provide unexpected marketing benefits, including inbound links to your law firm website from the entity’s website or press releases and news media coverage.
During the holiday season, many law firms engage in organized community involvement and charitable giving. If your firm is planning on a holiday season initiative, please make sure to include everyone at your firm in the opportunity and to capture the moment on camera. Whether you give of yourself now or in the coming year, be sure to get organized and get involved!
Three basic steps to get started with law firm community involvement:
- Select a cause or charity for a set upcoming time period (i.e. first quarter of 2014 or even the entire year.) Consolidating your law firm’s efforts behind one group allows you to make a bigger impact.
- Involve your entire office and shut down for a day. Everyone likes to help if given the chance, and your staff will also enjoy a day spent together outside of the office.
- Showcase your involvement publicly. Use your law firm’s social media channels, your e-mail newsletter, your blog, and your own personal social networks to share stories from volunteering out in your community. Be sure to capture images during each event so that you can share image-based content, which gets substantially greater digital interaction than text.
You can get started in your local community today. Contact us for information on how we can help you find a worthwhile, reputable giving opportunity, and how to subsequently showcase your work in an ethically appropriate way.
For an awesome video that showcases an amazing way to give back to your own customers over the holidays, watch this video from West Jet below.