As you can imagine, we work with a lot of law firms, providing for significant practice area overlap. When we work on branding, messaging, and copywriting for firms with the same practice areas, it is important for us to distinguish them from each other and from their competitors. As a lawyer, you are a specialist providing a service focused on a specific client group's needs – but so are other law firms – so what can you do? Niche marketing is one way to make a law firm stand out among a sea of prospective lawyers in a practice area.
A niche is a focused, targetable part of a consumer market. Your niche will equate to a small market segment seeking to satisfy specific needs, whether by price range, quality, demographics, or more. If you want to start niche marketing for your law firm, you must first identify which specific target market you can help and then tailor your overall marketing strategy to their habits and preferences. An effective niche marketing campaign can propel you further toward becoming a legal industry thought leader or expert more quickly than almost any other form of marketing.
Finding Your Niche
But niche marketing is easier said than done. Most law firms have no idea where to start with a niche marketing strategy. Before you begin launching websites and rebranding, you must find the right niche for you and your practice. To do this, you must:
- Identify your interests, passions, and the types of cases in which you have the greatest success.
- Identify problems you can solve for your desired target demographic.
- Research your competition.
- Assess the profitability of your proposed niche.
- Test your idea.
Applying the Above to a Sample Niche: San Diego, California Personal Bankruptcy Lawyers
- The firm is located in San Diego, has a great infrastructure set up to handle a large volume of consumer bankruptcy cases, and has had success helping clients of varied backgrounds with their legal issues. One of the attorneys is a fluent Spanish speaker and another is a fluent Vietnamese speaker.
- The firm can help clients of a variety of minority backgrounds with consumer bankruptcy claims in a cost-effective, efficient, and timely manner – and in the language they prefer to speak, if needed.
- Research other law firms in San Diego handling consumer bankruptcy (with and without Spanish and Vietnamese speaking lawyers) and their advertising mechanisms.
- What will the overhead cost be to process the average claim and how much profit will the firm net?
- Run a test campaign on Google AdWords or Facebook Advertising to target your desired niche and measure your response.
Once you determine your proposed niche is profitable and that there is user demand for the services you have to offer, the next step will be developing a more comprehensive law firm niche marketing strategy. During this time, you will need to flesh out your ideal client persona, come up with a way to show how your approach is unique, figure out where to find your target demographic, reach out to them, and sell them on why they should hire you. While this might seem like a lot more work than just putting up a generic billboard (and it is), the reward is much more qualified clients.
Sounds easy, right? Not if you are managing a law firm and handling your own docket of cases. This is why working with a law firm marketing consultant can be invaluable for your business success.
Niche Marketing Brings Lawyers Better Clients
Niche marketing is the exact opposite of marketing yourself a one-stop-shop general practitioner. When you narrow down your focus, your law firm and what you have to offer will stand out. The more focused you are, the better quality leads and referrals you will get. Have questions? Contact us so we can help.