On Thursday and Friday, November 7-8, 2013, the University of Texas School of Law and The Insurance Law Section of the State Bar of Texas hosted their 18th Annual Insurance Law Institute in Houston, Texas. The annual continuing legal education event showcased thoughts from the judiciary, mediators, practitioners, vendors, and other businesspeople. I was invited to speak on the second day about social media during the breakout sessions.
Ten highlights from my PowerPoint presentation and 30-minute speech include:
- Facebook is the largest online social network, boasting 1.11 billion users.
500 years of YouTube video are watched each day on Facebook, and over 700 YouTube videos are shared on Twitter each minute.
- Customize your law firm's Facebook Page URL.
- Learn about the significance of Google Authorship and how it relates to Google Plus and the overall SEO for your law firm website.
- Users love the "instant gratification" of image-based content, so give them some.
- Make sure to "tag" or otherwise socially mention relevant individuals and entities in your post for increased reach.
Transcribe the spoken words within your video content for great SEO.
Include social sharing functionality on your blog and throughout your website.
- Take a hard look at and also build out your law firm directory listings online.
- Be sure to set a social media protocol for who will be responsible for checking your channels, how often that person will check them, and how the communications will be handled.
My entire presentation is embedded herein for your easy viewing and sharing. Enjoy!