In typical Google fashion, new updates for local search are being released left and right and businesses are left wondering what is worth their time when it comes to optimizing their Google My Business Listings. If you aren’t sure what a Google Post is or why/how your law firm should utilize the tool, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Read below to learn what Google Posts are and how to use them as an important tool to promote your law firm.
What Are Google Posts
Once you log into your Google My Business Listing you may notice a call to action within your account to share a Google Post. This feature serves to help businesses connect with their local audiences. It allows businesses to post updates, events, or even services on their Google My Business Listing, which will then show up within the business’ Google knowledge panel and maps. This means when people search for your law firm on Google and your information appears in a box on the right hand side of the screen, they will not only get to see your firm’s standard information like its contact information, map for directions, and photos, but your Google Posts will appear as well.
Here is an example of what a Google Post looks within the business listing knowledge panel:
As far as where and how to share a Google Post, simply sign into your Google account and click on your Google My Business listing. From there, you can click Create post via your home page under Google My Business:
or click “Posts” from the column on the left, and post there:
Why Use Google Posts
While we have tested out the tool for several months now and love it, it’s important to keep in mind that the feature is still relatively new, and its true SEO value is still being analyzed. Also noteworthy is that the Google Post feature is basically a completely free marketing tool. If that isn’t reason enough, we’ve provided a few other benefits of the feature below.
- If your law firm has an exciting announcement, a Google Post is an easy and free way to advertise and spread the word.
- You can share breaking news or emergency updates directly on your Business Listing.
- Google Posts can promote your law firm events in advance.
- Your newest posts will show up first, so the latest and most recent news, updates, or blog posts your law firm shares will appear at the top of your Business Listing, guaranteeing exposure to each and every post.
Google Post Insights and Best Practices
The more we use this tool for our own business and clients, the more we’ve come to realize there is certainly a right and wrong way to share your posts. Below you will find our best tips and top things to keep in mind when utilizing the Google Post feature:
- Post regularly and consistently. We usually shoot for once or twice a week.
- Use the feature to post about events, firm announcements, and to share your latest blog posts.
- Posts typically remain live for seven days (hence why you should post often and regularly). If you want your post to last longer, you can select to post it as an Event, which remains live for 30 days.
- Always add a link and image to your post.
- Use a custom URL to track in-depth metrics of your posts (Google analytics will only show you the number of clicks and views).
- Be sure to use the ideal image measurements: 750 x 750. Images under 250 x 250 will not be accepted. Also make sure the image is center-weighted.
- Make sure the first 100 characters count, as this is what will show up in the knowledge panel. Think of actionable and attention-grabbing headlines.
By now we have hopefully convinced you to start sharing posts on this valuable tool within your Google My Business listing if you haven’t already. If you have been using Google Posts and have your own best practices or pieces of knowledge to share, be sure to comment below! If you need further convincing or if your law firm wants help in capitalizing on this tool, contact the marketing experts at Stacey E. Burke P.C. today.