Getting your law firm to have a sustainable position online may take months, if not years. It is a huge and expensive task that demands both a long-term commitment and ongoing work on an indefinite basis. When your digital marketing efforts are fruitful in getting you the online authority you want, it does not mean you are finished – and techniques that worked to get you there eventually become obsolete. Therefore, a regular audit of your digital assets can be invaluable for gauging your online potential and room for improvement, as well as to identify any missed opportunities.
THE MAIN COMPONENTS OF A DIGITAL ASSETS AUDIT
While many topics could be covered in a digital assets audit, we have identified several core areas of focus to determine the digital strengths and weaknesses of each law firm. We address the following questions in our comprehensive law firm digital assets audits:
Digital Marketing Strategy
- Do you have a digital marketing strategy?
- Is your existing digital marketing strategy still relevant?
- How well is your team sticking to the plan?
- Is your logo the same font, color, and resolution across all of your digital assets?
- Is the firm’s name used exactly the same way consistently?
- Are your individual law firm directories built out, linking back to the website, and using the high-resolution images contained on the lawyer website biographies?
Search Engine Strategies
- What is the organic and paid exposure of your law firm across all digital channels?
- What SEO value does your website possess (including crawlability, page speed, number of indexed pages, mobile-friendliness, broken links, backlinks, interlinks, image alt-text, meta-descriptions, and website imagery and media, among others)?
- How well do you rank organically for your target keyword phrases (and which phrases are these)? How are your competitors ranking in comparison?
- Are you running paid search advertising?
Website Information Architecture
- How user-friendly is your website (including usability, channel design, structure, and functionality)?
- How long are people staying on the site?
- Are the page layouts easy to navigate?
- Is your website setup to properly track conversions, including contact form submissions, clicks-to-email, and clicks-to-call?
Ensure Content Quality
- How strong are your content assets?
- Does each page of content contain appropriate headlines, visuals, subheadings, bullet points, formatting, and calls to action?
- What content formats are you using (e.g. video)?
- What is your publishing frequency?
- What are your best performing articles?
- Do you have blog commenting enabled? Are you blocking spam comments? Are you responding to comments?
Social Media Marketing
- Do you have a social media marketing strategy?
- Has inbound traffic from social sites to your website increased over time?
- Is your social presence generating engagement?
- How are your social media channels performing with certain key performance indicators, such as reach, engagement, audience growth, link clicks, and more?
- Are your social media channels integrated with the rest of your marketing assets (including making them accessible from your website, listing them in your offline materials, and ensuring your social networks have links back to your website)?
- Do you have ongoing reporting in place, and if so what metrics do you measure?
- Do you have Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager appropriately installed and working on your website?
- Do you use online call tracking and recording?
- What trends can be identified from your website traffic, online form submissions, phone calls, signed contracts, revenue generated, live chat leads, click-through rates, and more?
- What is your overall average acquisition cost per lead by marketing expenditure?
AUDITS DON’T END WITH THE REPORT
For some law firms, a digital audit is a single transaction designed to obtain an outside perspective. But, many law firms use audits like icebreakers in order to test out and ultimately start an ongoing relationship with a digital agency. If you are interested in having your digital portfolio audited, but lack someone internally with the talent and experience to assist you, contact Stacey E. Burke, P.C. Our digital audits can be the perfect start to a long-term, value-adding relationship with your law firm.